Tips to apply successfully
Learn more about the various steps and processes involved when applying for position at Shell, and discover some top tips to help you succeed.
Make the most of your CV
Your CV is a key step in any application process. It is the platform to present yourself and demonstrate your achievements.
Here are a few handy tips to help you present yourself in the best possible way:
- Make sure your CV is up to date
- Try to restrict it to two pages and keep the layout simple
- Use headings like ‘Education’ and ‘Career history’ to highlight different sections
- Don’t make general statements about yourself – support them with evidence. For example, explain what you have done that illustrates the qualities you have
- Try to link your skills and experience to the requirements of the role you’re applying for
- Make sure you have an updated LinkedIn profile to make filling the application form faster.
Personal details: Your full name, email address and phone number are most important. You’ll also want to make sure the full name you provide is the same full name written in other official documents.
Educational details: List these in reverse chronological order, with your most recent education first. Include the name of the institutions, the dates you were enrolled, and the qualifications you obtained or will obtain when you graduate. You may want to list the relevant modules, the projects and dissertations you delivered, the grades you have achieved, and professional skills you have developed.
Career history and professional experience: Whether they’re paid, voluntary or shadowing, all experiences count! Present these in reverse chronological order with dates to show how long you remained in a particular role. Mention what you achieved and the skills you developed.
Achievements and outside interests: Include this information to show that you’re a rounded person with a balanced approach to life. Focus on recent examples, describing what you contributed and learned, and how you did this.